Tuesday, November 3, 2009

If I were a millionaire

The morning drive to school has always provided a little pocket of time to chat where I have learned the most interesting things.  Take for instance the day Sofie confided that when she grew up she wanted to have an RV with a disco ball.  Ok, that is slightly disturbing, but still.  I've learned some good stuff over the years.

Today it was Sofie who posed the question.  She asked me where I would live if I were a millionaire.  This used to be a no-brainer for me.  I could think of a hundred places I'd love to live!  South Carolina, Oregon, Arizona, East Texas, Italy, Bulgaria....I love adventure and new anything so I'd pick someplace interesting and head out.  But today I couldn't say any of those places.  In the oddest twist of fate, I had to admit I would live here in Columbus.  After 20+ years of complaining and whining and harping about how I did NOT want to live here, now I don't want to leave.   I can hardly believe it myself.

I don't want to live anywhere else now because my grown kids live here.  In the next few years they will be starting a family and I don't want to be 4,000 miles away from my grandbabies!  I didn't have the opportunity to grow up around my grandparents and I don't want that for my grandkids.  (Not sure how my kids feel about this...perhaps I should ask!  I might not be the best role model but I have promised NEVER to buy the loud and annoying toys.)  Listen to me; talking about grandkids I don't even have!  But, you see what I'm saying, right?

I did add that if I were a millionaire, I'd have a vacation home somewhere fabulous where we could all go and relax and make wonderful memories.  Surely, a millionaire could afford that, right?  I'm not exactly positive since numbers are really not my thing.  I love words.  Numbers....not so much.  Perhaps if I were just a millionaire, we'd only be able to vacation in Kansas City.  I don't know.  I just know that I'd like to have some options for escape now and then.  And I'd take those grandbabies with me for all sorts of fun adventures!

No comments: